Apply for Housing
How to Apply to the Residence Halls
On-campus housing is a very popular option, especially among first-year students. As soon as you're admitted to the University of Iowa, submit your housing application. Room assignments are made based on the date that the application, deposit and fee are received by the Contracts & Assignments Office.
Only students who have been admitted to the university can apply for housing in the residence halls. Included in the materials first year students receive with the letter of admission are directions for applying for on-campus housing online through the "Admissions Profile".
University Housing & Dining is committed to working to meet the housing needs of our all residential students by providing a nurturing community that values diversity and promotes the dignity of all community members. If you have special housing needs based on gender identity or gender expression, please contact Kate Fitzgerald (firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-335-3700 when applying for on-campus housing to discuss your specific needs. Special housing needs are accommodated on a case-by-case basis.
- Access the application through your Admissions Profile on ISIS.
- Pick your top five Living-Learning Communities, choose how you want to be paired with a roommate, and pay the $75 non-refundable housing application fee. Here is helpful information on using the roommate matching system in the application portal.
Pick Your Own Room!
Students with a completed housing application before February 3, 2014, will be sent an e-mail in late March. The email will grant you special access to the self-assignment process allowing you to "Pick Your Own Room." You will be granted access to search a field of available rooms where you can select a room for yourself. The self-selection process will occur in April. University Housing & Dining is putting all the choices in your hands.
- You pick the LLC
- You pick your roommate
- You pick the room type
- You pick the building
Students with a housing application completed on or after February 3, 2014, will electronically receive their housing assignment starting in June. These assignments will be based upon your preferences and our availability. University Housing & Dining will provide you your room assignment.
To enhance your priority for a room assignment, we recommend that you complete and submit this housing application as soon as possible. The assignment process is done on a first-come, first-served basis. This means the earlier you apply the greater probability of getting your preferences. Students who submit housing applications after February 3, 2014, will not be eligible to self-assign or have roommate matching.
Benefits of Applying Early
- Ability to self-select your room (Yes, you can actually pick your own room!)
- Better chance of getting the assignment you desire
- Receive your assignment earlier
- Access to roommate matching program (read these roommate matching tips beforehand)
University Housing & Dining Application Timeline and Tips
Below are some notes and tips about the Housing Application process:
- Over 5,900 new students apply for housing in the residence halls. The majority of applications are received by the end of December. Consequently, you are encouraged to apply for housing as soon as you are admitted. You may not apply for housing prior to being admitted to the university; however, you may apply for housing before making an acceptance to Iowa. Room assignments are made in the order applications are received and, to the extent possible, the preferences applicants provide.
- You may apply using our online application. There is a non-refundable application fee of $75. You must use a credit card for the non-refundable application fee. The application is accessed through the Admission Profile. There are no refunds for applications.
- You may make changes to your housing application at any time (prior to Mid-May) by re-logging into the housing application and making the changes. In mid-May, the portal will close for assignments. Your priority date (date housing application was received) will not change based upon changes you make to your housing application.
- New students are assigned to spaces after returning residents pick their rooms. Therefore, some halls have fewer spaces available for new incoming students. We'll make every effort to honor your housing request.
- Room assignment notification begins in late May/early June and continues throughout the summer. If you have a roommate assigned at the time your notice is mailed, that person's name and e-mail address will be provided.
- If you change your mind about living in the residence halls, cancel your application by re-logging into the portal and select cancel. This needs to be done before your binding date. If you are not attending Iowa you will need to cancel your housing application as well.
- If your mailing address changes, let us know. If you will not be at your home address between June 1 and August 14, designate someone to open your mail since the time is short in which to respond to an assignment.
- Notice of room, roommate assignment, and instructions for moving in will be mailed to you beginning June 1 and continuing throughout the summer.
- Students who need to arrive on campus prior to their assigned move in date should contact Residence Education at 319-335-3700 or email@example.com.