On-campus housing is a very popular option, especially amongst first-year students. As soon as you're admitted, submit your housing application. Room assignments are made based on the date that the application, deposit and fee are received by the Contracts & Assignments Office.
Only students who have been admitted to the University can apply for housing in the residence halls. Included in the materials freshmen receive with the letter of admission are directions for applying for on-campus housing online through the "Admissions Profile".
University Housing & Dining Change-Cancel Forms:
You will need to print the appropriate cancellation form and send it with the student's signature to:
Contracts & Assignments
4141 Burge Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1214
Login to ISIS
ISIS is the University's student information system. You were assigned a Hawk ID and password during the very early stages of your application process. If you don't remember your Hawk ID and/or password, contact the Office of Admissions at 800-553-4692 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
For current residents, reapplication to the residence halls is done through the SAS system.
- Access the application through your Admissions Profile on ISIS.
- Pick your top five LLCs, choose how you want to be paired with a roommate, and pay the $75 non-refundable housing application fee.
- Modify your top five any time before March 1, 2013.
- Starting in late March, you will receive information about how you can "Pick Your Own Room" within your top five LLCs (provided you complete your housing
application before March 1, 2013).
Pick Your Own Room!
Students with a completed housing application before March 1, 2013, will be sent an e-mail in late March. The email will grant you special access to the self-assignment process allowing you to "Pick Your Own Room." You will be granted access to search a field of available rooms where you can select a room for yourself. The self-selection process will occur in April.
University Housing & Dining is putting all the choices in your hands.
- You pick the LLC.
- You pick your roommate.
- You pick the room type.
- You pick the building.
Students with a housing application completed on or after March 1, 2013, will electronically receive
their housing assignment starting in June. These assignments will be based upon your preferences and our availability. University Housing & Dining will provide you your room assignment.
To enhance your priority for a room assignment, we recommend that you complete and submit this housing application as soon as possible. The assignment process is done on a first-come, first-served basis. This means the earlier you apply the greater probability of getting your preferences. Students who submit housing applications on or after March 1, 2013, will not be eligible to self-assign.
Benefits of applying early
- Ability to self-select your room. (Beginning this year you can actually pick your own room!)
- Better chance of getting the assignment you desire
- Access to roommate matching program
- Receive your assignment earlier
University Housing & Dining Application Timeline and Tips
Below are some notes and tips about the Housing Application process.
- Over 5900 new students apply for housing in the residence halls. The majority of applications are received by the end of December. Consequently, you are encouraged to apply for housing as soon as you are admitted. You may not apply for housing prior to being admitted to the University, however, you may apply for housing before making an acceptance to Iowa. Room assignments are made in the order applications are received and, to the extent possible, the preferences applicants provide.
- You may apply using our online application. There is a non-refundable application fee of $75. You can use a credit card for the non-refundable application fee. The application is accessed through the Admission Profile. There are no refunds for applications.
- You may make changes to your housing application at any time by re-logging into the housing application and making the changes prior to mid-May when the portal will close for assignments. Your priority date (date housing application was received) will not change based upon changes.
- New students are assigned to spaces after returning residents pick their rooms. Therefore, some halls have fewer spaces available for new incoming students. We'll make every effort to honor your housing request.
- Room assignment notification begins in late May early June and continues throughout the summer. If you have a roommate assigned at the time your notice is mailed, that person's name and e-mail address will be provided.
- If you change your mind about living in the residence halls, cancel your application by re-logging into the portal and select cancel. This needs to be done before your binding date. If you are not attending Iowa you will need to cancel your housing application as well.
- If your mailing address changes, let us know. If you will not be at your home address between June 1 and August 14, designate someone to open your mail since the time is short in which to respond to an assignment.
- Notice of room, roommate assignment, and instructions for moving in will be mailed to you beginning June 1 and continuing throughout the summer.
- Students who need to arrive on campus prior to their assigned move in date should contact the Office of Residence Life at 319-335-3700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This download is a PDF file. If you don’t already have Adobe Reader (the application necessary to read PDF files), you can download it free by clicking the button below: