Apply for Housing
If you have been admitted to the University of Iowa as an undergraduate student and will be 16 by August 1, 2017, you can apply for housing in the residence halls. On-campus housing is a very popular option, especially among first-year students. The University of Iowa does not require students to live in the halls, but each year more than 94% of the first-year class chooses to live with University Housing & Dining. Students are expected to maintain a course load of at least 1 semester hour when living in the residence halls for Academic Year 2017-2018.
How to Apply
Admitted students can apply online through their Admissions Profile in MyUI.uiowa.edu. A student does not need to accept their admission to the University of Iowa before applying for housing. Students must activate their Hawk ID in order to access the application.
All applicants are required to pay a $75 non-refundable application fee online with a credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover only). For students with financial need, if a student has received a waiver of their $40 Admissions application fee, the $75 housing application fee will be automatically deferred to their fall U-Bill. This deferral will allow the student to cover the fee with their financial aid.
The online housing application has several steps for students to:
- Verify their personal contact information.
- Enter an emergency contact.
- Answer a lifestyle questionnaire.
- Select their top 10 living learning communities.
- Indicate room type preferences.
- Learn how to apply for ADA/medical accommodations.
- Agree to the housing contract terms & conditions.
- Sign a fitness center waiver.
- Pay the $75 application fee.
- Submit their housing application.
- Request a roommate (optional).
- Late November 2016 - The housing application portal will open for admitted students. You will receive an email when it is open.
- May 1, 2017 – Roommate requests and living learning community preferences due.
- May 31, 2017 – Housing application portal closes. Students interested in living on campus after May 31 will be put on a waitlist and offered housing as space allows.
- June to August – Housing contracts and assignment notices emailed to students throughout the summer.
All students who submit a housing application will have the option to request roommates by May 1, 2017. They can search for a roommate based on the answers to their lifestyle questionnaire and living learning community preferences. Here is some helpful information about using the online roommate matching system. Students may request up to 3 roommates and all roommate requests must be mutually confirmed online in the housing application portal by May 1, 2017. Additionally, all roommates must have matching LLC and room type preferences in order, as well as be eligible to live in those LLCs. Adjustments to preferences so they match may be made online until May 1, 2017.
Living Learning Community & Room Assignment
- Room assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis determined by the date a student submits their housing application online.
- Living learning community preferences may be adjusted until May 1, 2017.
- Students are encouraged to preference living learning communities based on the LLC’s topic, not the location. Living learning community locations may change from year to year, based on interest in the LLC.
- New students are assigned to spaces after returning residents pick their rooms. Therefore, some living learning communities and halls will have fewer spaces available for new incoming students.
Diversity & Gender Identity
University Housing & Dining is committed to providing a nurturing residence hall community that values diversity and promotes the dignity of all community members. Our residence halls are home to students from across Iowa, the United States, and the world!
University Housing & Dining recognizes that not all students may identify as female or male, and we want to create a welcoming environment for everyone in the residence halls. We would be happy to work with students who may identify as transgender, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and/or non-binary regarding life in the halls. Contact Virginia Ibrahim-Olin (Virginiaemail@example.com or 319-335-3000) when applying for housing to discuss your specific needs.