The University of Iowa’s response to the Coronavirus and COVID-19 has changed many things across campus, but the University Housing and Dining embedded therapists are still providing services to residents. If you have lived in the residence halls at any point during the academic year (even if you are a student who is not living on campus now), you are still eligible to see Patrick and Dawn virtually. Contact Patrick and Dawn directly or call University Counseling Services for more information.

We're Here to Help

We know college can be challenging and we're here to help. University Housing and Dining (in partnership with University Counseling Services) offers free counseling within or close to our residence halls, making it easy for you to get the support you need.

Embedded Therapy within University Housing and Dining

The University of Iowa’s Residence Education Model (REM) aims to foster Learning About Self, Discovering Relationships, and Engaging in Community in students who live on campus.  Embedded therapists in University Housing and Dining support students in these learning goals.  We know that making the decision to improve your mental wellness through counseling can be a difficult one. University Housing and Dining and UCS have embedded therapists in the residence halls that are closer to where you might live, eat, or go to class.

An embedded therapist works within a community and has specialized knowledge about that community. As University Housing and Dining embedded therapists, we are familiar with common mental health concerns students living on campus often face.  Our office is located in one residence hall, but we offer services and programs in all on-campus communities.

University Housing and Dining embedded therapists offer a variety of services including:

  • Group therapy
  • Brief individual therapy
  • Consultation
  • Clinical workshops
  • Prevention and psychoeducational programs

This service is available for all students who live on campus.

You are able to schedule an appointment by emailing Patrick Galligan ( or Dawn Bates ( directly or calling the UCS front desk at 319-335-7294.

The first time you come in, you will fill out some forms that tell us a little about who you are and what concerns you have. Then the therapist will meet with you for about 50 minutes to learn more about your concerns. At the end you and the therapist will work together to decide what comes next.

  • From Madison Street Entrance: Take the elevator or stairs to the third floor. Room 304 is just to the left of the main desk.
  • From the T. Anne Cleary Walkway: Take the skywalk just south of the North Hall Parking Ramp into Catlett Residence Hall. Once inside, turn right towards the main desk. Room 304 will be on your right.
  • Cambus Routes: Various cambus routes stop at the intersection of Clinton and Davenport Street near Currier (#1015) and Burge Residence Hall (#1016). These routes are red, blue, interdorm, Hawkeye interdorm, and the Mayflower shuttle.

In an emergency or crisis related to mental health, please utilize the following resources:

Special Programming

View more information regrading special programming developed by University Housing and Dining embedded therapists.

Let’s Talk, Hawks! are opportunities to have brief, drop-in conversations where students can ask mental health questions, problem solve, or obtain resources from our therapists. This is not a therapy session or a crisis service. For Spring 2021, join us via Zoom on Mondays from 7:00-8:00 p.m., Wednesdays from 5:30-6:30 p.m., or Thursdays from 5:00-6:00 p.m. at the following link

The Hawkeye Allies are a network of caring, compassionate residents within University Housing who have gone through training to respond supportively when peers confide in them about having experienced sexual violence. Learn more about the Hawkeye Allies at the following page

Contact Us

Learn more about Patrick Galligan. 

Learn more about Dawn Bates.