Public Space & Bulletin Boards

Stanley residence hall uiowa iowa dorm students lounge


Requests for group usage of public/common space must be made in advance with the hall coordinator's office.

Study Areas

student studying in lounge

There are designated areas for quiet study located in all buildings, and some of these areas are available on a 24-hour basis. Contact your RA or front desk for more information.


University Housing & Dining will not store any personal items of residents. All university furniture provided when students check in must remain in the student's room.

Meeting Room Reservations

In addition to student living quarters, the residence halls also contain a number of conference and meeting room facilities. Policies and procedures for reserving these facilities are found here.

Posting in the Residence Halls

There are three types of flyers/posters that may be posted on UI residence hall bulletin boards:

  1. Flyers from individuals wishing to sell personal items, tickets, or looking for rides home. These should be taken to the building desk for approval.
  2. Flyers from university departments/campus organizations/clubs. These should be taken to University Housing & Dining Administrative Offices at 4141 Burge Hall for approval. Flyers must be received by noon on Wednesday and will be posted the following weekend. Flyers are displayed by residence hall staff members on main bulletin boards and/or by resident assistants on each floor.
  3. Departmental information including menus, floor events, and hall events. These are posted by the resident assistant on each floor.

No commercial advertising is allowed. For the complete posting guidelines, contact University Housing & Dining, 4141 Burge Hall, 319-335-3000, or see Posting Policies below.

Posting Policies

PDF iconGuidelines for Distribution Sales and Solicitation
Guidelines for Political Activities in the Residence Halls
Digital Signage Policy
Number of Mailboxes
PDF iconMass Mailing Policy for Internal Groups
Posting Approval Form

Contact University Housing & Dining, 4141 Burge Hall, 319-335-3000, with questions.

Solicitation Policy

Your residence hall contract states, "No resident is to use their room or permit it to be used for any commercial purpose, except for incidental commercial use such as the receipt of telephone solicitations of sales orders. Commercial soliciting in the building or on the grounds is forbidden."

Residence hall student room computer data ports are for university-related activities only. Subscribers may not conduct a commercial business via residence hall computer data ports.

In addition, University Housing & Dining views the residence hall as your home, and is therefore very protective of your privacy. The department has established detailed guidelines for distribution of information to you. The Solicitation Guidelines include regulations on bulletin boards, physical distribution of material, distribution centers, tables at dining entrances, table tents, and mailboxes. If you would like a copy of this policy, and others, see Posting Policies above.

In order to help us protect your living environment, please report any violations of solicitation in the building (including door-to-door sales) to the front desk immediately.