Technology Support

Internet, Phone, and Cable


ResNet is a service offered by University Housing & Dining in conjunction with Information Technology Services (ITS) that provides all students living in residence halls with a computer data port (hard wired) that provides a fast, direct ethernet connection to the campus network and Internet.

  • ResNet connections are hard wired available in every room in every residence hall
  • All residents are subject to the ResNet Acceptable Use Policy. Violation of this policy may result in the termination of your connection.
  • For more information visit:


UI Wireless provides wireless access for mobile devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones. This service is available to students, faculty, staff and guests using their HawkID. The university focuses on providing access in common spaces, classrooms, conference rooms and similar areas. Office space and other non-public areas may be covered, but these types of spaces are not currently priority coverage areas. All UI traditional residence halls provide wireless internet.

ITCs (Computer Labs) & Print Stations

Instructional Technology Centers (ITCs) are located in Mayflower, Currier and Hillcrest. ITCs are equipped with PCs, Macintoshes, scanners and printers connected to the university network. Other residence halls have a print release station for easy printing on your account.

You must have a HawkID to use ITC computers. Currently enrolled students can obtain a HawkID through Web ISIS at All residence hall ITCs are available 24 hours a day.


Your residence hall room phone number is the officially publicized telephone number for you while in Iowa City. If you would like, you can bring a land-line phone and answering machine with you so you can be reached at that number in an emergency and by university offices.

University Housing & Dining does not provide telephone instruments or wall cords; however, telephone line jacks are activated throughout the academic year. The monthly service charge is included in your residence hall contract. The university-owned telephone system includes caller-id, call transferring, call hold, three-party calling, and automatic call back.

A typical room is equipped with a telecommunications faceplate that has one phone jack to plug in a telephone and one or more computer data ports/jacks, depending on room type, to plug in computers for high speed ethernet access to the campus network and Internet. In addition, the television coax cable is located typically on the bottom of the faceplate.


Cable television service is provided in residence hall rooms at no extra charge and gives students access to numerous channels. 

There are TV rooms available in most buildings.

Channel Guide and Information

Satellite Dishes, Antennas, and Radio Transmissions​

Outside antennas and satellite dishes of any type are also not allowed and will be removed immediately. The distribution or receipt of radio transmission of any type (including amateur radio or police scanners) is not permitted in the residence halls.