Power Down and Unplug Over Spring Break
Before you leave for spring break, power down and unplug your dorm room. Reducing energy waste reduces UI’s energy bills, reduces the overall campus carbon footprint, and it’s just a good idea.
Here are some tips to unplug and power down before you leave:
- Turn off all lights, appliances, computers
- Make sure to unplug everything – TV, microwave, game consoles, phone and device changers, digital clocks. When appliances are plugged in, they still use energy even if they are off.
- If you have items plugged into a power strip, make sure to turn the strip off.
- Turn down your heat (if available in your room)
- Report any maintenance problems such as leaky faucets, windows that won't close, or extreme room temperatures to your RA.
Our power down efforts made a difference! During Thanksgiving break, electricity use on campus was reduced by about 12 percent.
Want to find out more? See http://sustainability.uiowa.edu/campus-life/living-space/ for a virtual green dorm room and some tips for living lightly on campus.