Are you seeking a challenge? Do you want to make a difference in people’s lives? If you want and need the adventure of a lifetime, then we have an opportunity for you. The Resident Assistant position receives a salary of $5,000 prorated over a 10 month employment period. Other benefits include the experience you will gain while interacting with students and staff in your residence hall community, as well as an optional, one credit hour RA course. As a condition of employment as a Resident Assistant you will be provided a single room or apartment, a full meal plan, and $100 Hawk Dollars a semester during the 2016-2017 academic year appointment.
- A successful RA candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a current University of Iowa full-time student with one year of on-campus living experience at time of employment.
- Must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 during the term of employment. Each semester of employment individual must achieve a minimum of 2.0 semester GPA. RAs must pass 70% of all credits attempted each semester.
- Must be in good conduct standing with University Housing & Dining with no alcohol or drug related charges.
- Attend mandatory spring (April 17, 2016), pre-fall (August 3-12, 2016) and winter (January 13-14, 2017) training workshops.
- Must be available to work during Opening Week and On-Iowa (August 13-August 20, 2016).
- May not hold other campus employment during academic year term of RA Appointment.
- Enroll, attend, and successfully complete a 6-week Introductory RA Class (Issues in College Residence Halls: 415:001). The course meets one day a week for an optional 1 credit hour.
- As a condition of employment the RA must reside in a University Residence Hall or designated apartment complex.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and organization skills.
- Ability to effectively work with a diverse population and adjust to challenging situations.
- Reasonable experience in using computers; including Word, Excel, and e-mail.
- Ability to show responsibility for own time-management.
- Creative and self-motivated individual with demonstrated leadership experience.
- Must successfully complete a criminal background check.
Application and 2 reference forms are due by 5:00pm by December 22, 2015. Candidates who submit a completed application by the deadline and meet the listed qualifications will be expected to participate and successfully complete the three session RA seminar that consists of a 90 minute session approximately twice a week detailing the RA position to be considered further in the application process.