Semester Break Fall 2015:
Here are a few things to remember as we approach the semester break.
- The University of Iowa residence halls will close for semester break beginning at 12:00 Noon on Saturday, December 19, 2015. No occupancy or entrance to rooms is permitted after Noon on December 19.
- Residence halls will reopen at 8:00 am on Saturday, January 16, 2016.
- Students who are in need of accommodations over semester break may sign up at a cost of $300. To apply, students should go to www.liveon.uiowa.edu
- There are no meals during break. Contract dining ends at 2:00pm on Friday, December 18 , and begins again with breakfast on Monday, January 18.
- Remember to: turn off all lights and your air conditioner, leave heat on low, dispose of perishable items in your fridge and leave it plugged in, empty the trash and take your keys with you.
- Turn off all appliances like computers, printers, coffee makers, desk lamps, and make sure to unplug everything.
- Follow the Power Down During Breaks page’s tips to saving energy!
Confront or report any unescorted strangers in your hall. Your RA or other residence hall staff can help you confront any strangers. If you have reason to believe that the person poses an immediate threat, call University of Iowa Police at 319-335-5022, and immediately contact your 24-hour desk.
Winter Break Housing Options:
Do you need to stay in the residence halls over break?
The University of Iowa residence halls will close for semester break beginning at 12:00pm on Saturday, December 19, 2015. No occupancy or entrance to your room is permitted after noon on December 19, 2015. The halls will reopen at 8:00am on Saturday, January 16, 2016. If you do not plan to stay in the halls over break, you should leave as soon as your exams are over. Students who are in need of accommodation over winter break may sign up at a cost of $300.00.
Only students who register for Winter Break housing can stay in the building. The application must be completed by 12 Pm, Tuesday, December 15, 2015 to qualify. To apply, students should go to www.liveon.uiowa.edu and click the Application Portal button. No refund will be issued if you cancel winter break housing after 12 Noon, December 17, 2015.
Special notes for all winter residents:
There is no meal service on campus over break. The Market Places will be closed at 2 PM on Friday, December 18, and will not reopen until Monday, January 18. You will be responsible for providing your own meals over the winter break. There are no guests allowed over break. Only registered students living in their permanent assignment will be allowed in the residence halls during the break period. (A link to the newsletter will be included on this article too.)
Are you moving out at winter break? Follow these steps for a smooth check out before you head home for the holidays!
Monday, December 14 - Friday, December 18, 2015, check-outs will be completed between 8am-10pm at the front desk. On Saturday, December 19, 2015, check-outs will be from 8am-noon.
- Once your room is entirely empty and cleaned, go to the front desk with your room key and student ID.
- Check your mailbox one final time.
- Turn in all checked out keys and information desk items (DVDs, vacuums, etc.).
- An RA will escort you up to your room.
- An RA will inspect the condition of your room and ensure all belongings have been removed. The RA will fill out the Room Condition Checklist. You will sign it and receive a copy with any damages and charges not-ed.
- The RA will lock the door behind you. You will no longer have access to the room.
- Return carts to the front desk.
NOTE: residents of the Clinton Street Apartments have a different procedure for move-out. Please check with the Daum Desk for these procedures.