- Sunday, May 1 - Sunday, May 8: Extended Quiet Hours from 7pm - 10am daily
- Sunday, May 8: 24-hour quiet hours begin at 7:00pm until 8am on Saturday, May 14
- Saturday, May 7: RA’s available to complete room checks 8:00am - 10:00pm
- May 9-13: Final exam week
- Friday, May 13: Market Places close at 2:00pm
- Saturday, May 14: Deadline to vacate rooms - residence halls close at 12:00pm/Noon
- Students need to move out within 24 hours after their last final
Check Out Process
- Remove any remaining belongings. Leave bagged trash in the middle of your room. Trash bags are available at the information desk.
- Once your room is entirely empty and cleaned, go to the information desk with your room key and student ID.
- Turn in all checked out keys and information desk items (DVDs, vacuums, etc.).
- Check your mailbox one final time.
- An RA will escort you to your room.
- An RA will inspect the condition of your room and ensure all belongings have been removed. The RA will fill out the Room Condition Checklist. You will sign it and receive a copy with any damages and charges noted. (More info in section below)
- The RA will lock the door behind you. You will no longer have access to the room.
- Return carts to the front desk.
Alternate Check Out Time
If you need to check out between 10pm and 8am, you must request an alternative check out time in the Hall Coordinator’s office at least 24 hours in advance to be considered for approval.
Move Out Tips
- Talk with your roommate or suitemate about any room damages that have occurred before you check-out with an RA. To claim responsibility for damages, go to the front desk Monday-Friday between 800am - 4:00pm.
- If you’re taking a trip home near the end of the semester, considering moving out some of your non-necessity belongings early such as winter clothing or decor items.
- Moving carts will be available, but in high demand. Consider bringing a hand cart or dolly to help expedite the process.
Utilize Free Boxes
- Don’t go out and purchase packing boxes. Help us recycle and pick up boxes at either Burge or Hillcrest Market Place.
Avoid The Busy Hours
- Friday and Saturday are the busiest check-out times. Be patient with our staff as we check residents out as efficiently as possible. Also, possibly consider an alternate check out time within the available timeframe.
Residential Dining Amnesty
Have you borrowed a cup from a Market Place? Please kindly bring any tableware back to your Market Place or amnesty box located in the lobby. The result of these disappearances is thousands of dollars spent on replacement costs which are passed onto the residents by way of increasing board plan rates.
Don’t Forget Your Bike
- Any bikes left in bike racks on university property will be removed and disposed of. If it’s still working and you no longer want it, donate it!
Donate Don’t Dump
Donate your usable items at one of our Goodwill donation trucks located at Burge, Hillcrest and Mayflower. Donated items can include furniture, decor, clothing, electronics and other working accessories. More information is available at https://sustainability.uiowa.edu/
In the residence hall lobbies there will also be bins available for you to donate items to:
- Crisis Center - Accepting unused perishable food items, toiletries, etc.
- Goodwill - Accepting gently used smaller items.
For more information review the Move Out Procedure Guide