Residence Hall Counseling

Patrick Galligan Counselor UIowa

Meet Patrick Galligan, the embedded counselor in University of Iowa’s residence halls. We sat down with him to find out more about who he is and what he can do for students like you.

Patrick offers both individual and group counseling in Stanley Residence Hall for students living within University Housing. He also offers outreach services like mental health programming about adjusting to the university life, eating disorder prevention, and more.

One of his largest assets are the resident assistants on each residence hall floors. Patrick offers consultations with them to deal with hall dynamics or behavioral and psychological problems that may arise. He sees the value of RA’s assuming the role of peer mentors and realizes that residents are more likely to speak with a peer than a counselor.

As a previous undergraduate student of the University of Iowa and a counseling psychology doctoral student, Patrick really feels like he can relate to students because he truly has been in their shoes. Because college is a time of shifting in identity and values, Patrick finds the early college career to be a time where he can make the most impact.

Help is not far away for those in need. In fact, now it is closer than ever. Students like you need fewer barriers to asking for help and University Housing & Dining is doing everything to ensure you will! To schedule an appointment with Patrick, it is best to call University Counseling Services at (319) 335-7294 and request a meeting with Patrick.