It’s the most wonderful time of the year, well almost…After the long nights of studying in the library and exams are finally done, we get a whole month of freedom!
While you may want to run out of your residence hall faster than Santa gobbles down cookies, we would ask that you take a few minutes to lower your energy waste here on campus.
Here are some tips to make this the most sustainable Christmas break ever:
- Turn off all lights (and Christmas lights)
- Turn down your heat (if available in your room)
- Turn off all appliances like computers, printers, coffee makers, desk lamps, etc.
- Make sure to unplug everything – TV, microwave, game consoles, phone and device chargers, digital clocks. Leave refrigerators plugged in, though. When appliances are plugged in, they still use energy even if they are off.
- If you have items plugged into a power strip, make sure to turn the strip off.
- Report any maintenance problems such as leaky faucets, windows that won’t close, or extreme room temperatures to your front desk and fill out a work order.
- So for this Christmas, why not give the gift that keeps on giving, a clean, sustainable world we can all enjoy!