Important Reminder: Protect Yourself & Your Belongings


Welcome back from winter break. As always, we want you to be comfortable in your surroundings, but we also want you to be SAFE. As a reminder, we recommend taking the following precautions:

  • When leaving the hall at night, tell your roommate when he/she should expect your return.
  • After dark, try not to walk alone. If possible, walk with a friend, or call Nite Ride.
  • Never leave belongings unattended.
  • If you are a victim of an attack or other crime, call 911 and a hall staff member as soon as possible.
  • Solicitors or suspicious persons should be reported to a hall staff member or 911 immediately.
  • Always carry your keys, OneCard, and if possible, a mobile phone.
  • Do not allow others to enter the building or floor using your One Card.
  • Keep your door closed and locked when not in your room. You can enhance your safety and that of your roommate(s) by keeping the door closed and locked at all times.
  • Please immediately inform a member of the hall staff about any unsafe conditions or behaviors that threaten the safety or security of your community.

To guard against theft, the following safeguards are recommended:

  • Keep money and valuables in a secure place. Do not keep excessive amounts of cash in your room or on you.
  • Record the numbers of all credit cards and checking accounts; record the addresses of these companies and banks so that they can be notified if cards are lost or stolen.
  • For more tips on safety and security on campus, visit the University of Iowa's Police Department website (

In the case of sexual misconduct:

The only person responsible for sexual misconduct is the perpetrator. It is a violation of university policy to engage in sexual activities without clear consent from your partner. Someone incapacitated due to alcohol or drugs cannot consent to sexual activity. A student or employee in violation of University of Iowa's sexual misconduct policies ( faces sanctions up to and including expulsion or termination.

What to remember:

Consensual sex occurs when both partners agree to engage in sexual activity. Consent should always be mutual, voluntary, enthusiastic and given without pressure, intimidation, or fear. Learn more about the UI's stance on affirmative consent (
The UI is committed to combating sexual violence, supporting survivors, and holding perpetrators accountable. Read about the UI Anti-Violence Plan ( and the UI Anti-Violence Coalition's work (

How to report:

If you believe a crime has been committed, we encourage you to call the police at 911. To contact University of Iowa Police call (319) 335-5022. You also have the option to make a university policy complaint. The Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator (OSMRC) ( is available to explain and answer questions about reporting options.

How to get help:

We strongly encourage victims to seek medical attention immediately, even if there are no obvious physical injuries. A sexual assault examination is free and conducted by a specially trained nurse. An examination does not obligate someone to an investigation; however, it allows evidence to be collected and preserved in the event someone chooses to authorize a criminal investigation at a later time. Victims may also receive medication for prevention of pregnancy and STI's.

In addition to seeking medical attention, there are other options for self-care after an assault, including contacting a confidential victim advocate (24/7 support at 319-335-6000). A comprehensive list of resources can be found on the OSMRC's website (

Additional Support Resources:

We encourage students, faculty and staff who may be in distress as a result of any incident to reach out if they need assistance.  You can find a list of resources on the university's Safety and Support resources website ( or by calling these offices:

  • University Housing & Dining Embedded Counselor, Patrick Galligan (319-335-7294)               
  • University Counseling Services (319-335-7294)
  • Center for Diversity and Enrichment (319-335-3555)       
  • Dean of Students Office (319-335-1162)
  • Women’s Resource and Action Center (319-335-1486)
  • Office of the Ombudsperson (319-335-3608)
  • Office for Graduate Inclusion (319-335-2147)
  • UI Employee Assistance Program (319-335-2085)