Will you be the first in your family to earn a four-year degree? This community helps build a meaningful support system for your transition to the University with inside tips for college success. In addition, you will be able to connect with upperclassmen and learn about various campus resources that will help you pave your way at Iowa.
Programming for First Generation
Programming may vary from year to year. Past programs in this community have included:
- Join friends for the "Ask an Upperclassman" panel discussion
- Check out the winter social with the First Generation Iowa Student Org
- Learn how to feel comfortable interacting with faculty
- Get a personal tutorial on using the Cambus transportation system
- Tour university offices, such as Advising, Financial Aid, and Student Health
- Take advantage of tutors on campus and learn about supplemental instruction
- Receive help registering for classes
- Get financial aid information at the FAFSA workshop
- Attend the budgeting workshop
CSI:1200:0002 - The Successful First Generation College Experience: If you are a first-generation college student, you are in good company; approximately one-quarter of the first-year students at the University of Iowa meet the federal definition of a first-generation college student. First-gen students come from a broad range of backgrounds, but they will likely face some common challenges. This course is designed to assist first-gen students as they learn about and adjust to the university.
CSI:1200:0009 - You at Your Best: Using Positive Psychology to Thrive: Positive psychology is the study of the strengths and virtues that allows individuals and communities to thrive. In this course, students will learn about the key aspects of positive psychology to promote the experience of positive emotion, engagement, and meaning in their lives. Students will discover their own personal strengths through experiential exercises and activities designed to promote positive emotions, including laughter!
Who Lives Here
This community is open to all students.