Will you be the first in your family to earn a four-year degree? This community helps build a meaningful support system for your transition to the University with inside tips for college success. In addition, you will be able to connect with upperclassmen and learn about various campus resources that will help you pave your way at Iowa.
Programming for First Generation
Programming may vary from year to year. Past programs in this community have included:
- Join friends for the "Ask an Upperclassman" panel discussion
- Check out the winter social with the First Generation Iowa Student Org
- Learn how to feel comfortable interacting with faculty
- Get a personal tutorial on using the Cambus transportation system
- Tour university offices, such as Advising, Financial Aid, and Student Health
- Take advantage of tutors on campus and learn about supplemental instruction
- Receive help registering for classes
- Get financial aid information at the FAFSA workshop
- Attend the budgeting workshop
Many of our Living Learning Communities require an academic course in common, which connects to the theme of the LLC. The courses that we offer are a great way for students to connect with their peers around their academics and form personal relationships with Iowa faculty, as well as delve deeper into the theme of their LLC. Courses for the 2017-2018 academic year have not yet been selected, so keep checking back for updates as we finalize course selection.
Who Lives Here
This community has specific entrance requirements for students who wish to live here. The First Generation Living Learning Community is only open to students who are the first in their family to attend college.