Iowa City is North America’s only UNESCO City of Literature! Experience literature come to life with other students and faculty who love reading and writing. You will learn about the literary landmarks that have made Iowa City famous, become part of a thriving culture, and discover the career possibilities open to people who are passionate about books.
Programming for Living Literature
Programming may vary from year to year. Past programs in this community have included:
- Haunted Bookshop Pajama Night: Visit an iconic Iowa City Bookstore, wear your PJs, and learn about the literature culture in Iowa City
- Blind Date Book Party: Bring a great book you don’t need anymore, wrap it up, and swap it with people at the event for a blind date with a new book!
- Iowa City Book Festival: Volunteer at the annual Iowa City Book Festival with Floor Mates
- Prairie Lights Night: One of the most famous bookstores in the world, Prairie Lights is an Iowa City staple. Visit one of their book gurus and let them help you find that perfect book
- PopLit Book Club: Residents can read the same book and discuss as a floor
Many of our Living Learning Communities require an academic course in common, which connects to the theme of the LLC. The courses that we offer are a great way for students to connect with their peers around their academics and form personal relationships with Iowa faculty, as well as delve deeper into the theme of their LLC. Courses for the 2017-2018 academic year have not yet been selected, so keep checking back for updates as we finalize course selection.
Who Lives Here
This community is open to all students.