Language is said to be the road map of a culture. Explore culture through language with brief introductions to a variety of languages such as American Sign Language, Japanese, German, and more. You will have opportunities to put new knowledge of language into practice while discovering the intersection of language and culture through food and art.
Programming for Spoken Here
Programming may vary from year to year. Past programs in this community have included:
- Attend events spoken in a language other than English
- Learn about different languages, such as Arabic, American Sign Language, and German
- Watch a foreign language movie at Film Scene
- Attend dinners with faculty that teach different languages at Iowa
- Learn how language intersects with culture through food and art
- Participate in a language conversation group or a program like Global Buddies
- Collaborate with different student groups on campus
- Form study groups on your floor around your language classes
CSI:1400:0001 - The Passport Project: Exploring Iowa and Iowa City: The Passport Project, highly recommended for First-Year and transfer students, will introduce and actively engage participants in the University and Iowa City's rich cultural and intellectual offerings.Students attend twelve events they select, including music concerts, art workshops and openings, literary readings, lectures in the sciences and humanities, hands-on engineering demonstrations, dance recitals, political forums, and theatrical productions. Students post brief written and multimedia reviews and reflections in electronic "passports" issued for the class.Small-group discussions complement class meetings and special events, featuring outstanding leaders in the arts, humanities, and sciences.
Who Lives Here
This community is open to all students.