Do more than lead, create a generation of leaders! This community is for you if you have the desire to shape the minds of the future and are interested in teaching elementary through high school. You will discuss current issues in education, interact with faculty members, learn about the College of Education, and have the chance to watch a current teacher in action through your first-year seminar.
This LLC is a wonderful conglomerate of all majors and provides great support for students pursuing a teaching career. Students will be able to connect with professionals in education, receive guidance from Teacher Leader Center faculty and staff, and become acquainted with the Teacher Education Program.
Programming for Tomorrow’s Teachers Today
Programming may vary from year to year. Past programs in this community have included:
- Get invited to dinner with the Dean of the College of Education
- Participate in field games with REACH students
- Donate a day of service at the Iowa Children’s Museum
- Have fun at the Back to School Bash
- Attend a panel discussions facilitated by faculty in the College of Education for answers to your questions about entering the field and applying to the College of Education
- Volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Experience a ropes course with Recreational Services
- Shadow a K-12 teacher for a day
- Join the school supply drive
- Learn about alternative careers in Education
The shared course for Fall 2017 will be EDTL:1129 So You Want to be a Teacher: What Does That Mean? Students enrolled in this course will discover what it means to be a teacher and explore the art and science of education.
Who Lives Here
This community is open to all students.