Making Calls

Calls within the University

To call a university number from a university phone, dial the last five digits of the listed number.

Local Calls and Long Distance Services

To place calls outside of the university, you must first dial "9." When dialing long distance, dial "9" then "1," the area code, number, and your authorization code. There is no charge for local calls.

There are two ways to make long distance calls from your room: through use of a university authorization code or a telephone calling card. Residents who opt to get a university authorization code will have long distance calls charged to their U-bill. University authorization codes are available on the web at in your HawkID number and HawkID password and then click on the sign-in button. If you are a current student and you have forgotten, or don’t know your HawkID password, you can go to the Registration Center at 30 Calvin Hall between 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 12:30-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. You will be required to present your student ID to obtain your HawkID. For additional information, contact ITS – Customer Information Desk at 319-384-0800, or contact the ITS Help Desk at 319-384-HELP. Authorization codes are in effect until the code is cancelled by the student or has been inactive for 5 months. It is very important that you cancel your authorization code if you do not plan to use it anymore, especially if you have left the residence halls.

All calls made with your authorization code will be charged to your U-bill. A statement itemizing your calls will be mailed to you on the last day of each month. If any charges on your U-bill remain unpaid after 30 days, ITS-Telecommunication and Network Services will cancel your authorization code until all charges are paid in full.

To avoid unnecessary charges, keep the following two points in mind. First, you are responsible for all calls placed using your authorization code. Notify ITS-Customer Information Desk at 319-384-0800 immediately if you have lost your code or if you feel someone has gained access to it. Second, when you are placing a series of calls, be sure to hold the switch hook down for five to ten seconds between calls. You may actually put a call on hold instead of terminating the connection if the switch hook is not depressed for this length of time. You will be responsible for all charges in this situation.

Other options with regard to long-distance service include using a telephone calling card from the long-distance carrier of your choice (you need a university authorization code to reach any 800 number) or placing calls collect to a non-university number. Long-distance calls may not be placed directly from your telephone without using one of these three options.

YOU ARE NOT TO ACCEPT COLLECT CALLS OR HAVE OPERATOR-ASSISTED CALLS BILLED TO YOUR ROOM. In the event this occurs, the cost of the calls will be billed in equal shares to all residents of the room. In addition, there will be a per call surcharge.