Fire Prevention

Fire Prevention

Fire prevention is the responsibility of all residence hall occupants. It is necessary that all occupants avoid creating potential fire hazards. Here are some guidelines that may help prevent fires:

  • Do not overload electrical outlets with adapters or extension cords.
  • The use of open-element electric cooking units including woks and toaster ovens, and the use of cooking fats and greases is prohibited except in rooms with kitchens.
  • Candles, incense, halogen lamps and open-flame decorations of any type are prohibited.

Room and hallway smoke detectors, sprinklers, or fire extinguishers MUST NOT be removed or disabled for any reason. Smoke detectors are sensitive to airborne particles including cigarette smoke and hair spray. Intentional activation of or tampering with any fire detection device, alarm, or fire extinguishing device may result in disciplinary action and/or arrest. Any problem with a smoke detector, sprinkler, or fire extinguisher should be reported to your front desk.