When a problem is reported that is the result of faulty telephone equipment, misuse, or abuse, you will be billed for any replacement parts plus labor at the current hourly rate.
To ensure that you are not charged for unnecessary repair calls, the following procedure is suggested:
- Check to see that you have a dial tone on your telephone wall jack.
- Unplug all of your telephone equipment from the wall jack.
- Plug in a telephone that you know is working and listen for a dial tone. It may be convenient to borrow a neighbor's phone that is working, your RA may have one, or each desk in each hall has working phones that you can check out to use for testing.
- If you hear a dial tone on the "test" phone, you know that the problem is with your equipment.
- It may be that you have too many things plugged in or you have things plugged in that are conflicting with each other. Consult your equipment owner's guides.
- Plug your equipment back in one device at a time and check for a dial tone each time. This may help you isolate which piece of equipment is faulty.
- If you do not hear a dial tone on the test phone, call the ITS-Telecommunication and Network Services at (319) 335-2949.
- You must supply your student ID, building, room number, telephone number, and an explanation of the problem.
- The Repair Desk Customer Representative will ask you questions about your problem and may take you through some troubleshooting procedures over the phone.
- If the problem is not resolved, an ITS technician will be dispatched.
For more information, please visit the ITS website atwww.its.uiowa.edu/tns.