The Residence Hall Fine Policy for Alcohol Violations and Illegal Drug Violations:
The following description summarizes the University Housing & Dining procedure for assessing fines for Residence Hall Alcohol and Drug Policy violations. Please note the process is progressive and may involve a monetary fine in addition to standard disciplinary sanctions such as a disciplinary warning or probationary status. The amount of the fine ranges from $100 to $500 depending upon the circumstances of the policy violation. The current fine policy is reflected below:
- A resident found in the presence of alcohol may be subject to a $100 fine
- For a resident found in possession on of a small quantity of alcohol or empty alcohol containers, on the first offense the fine is typically $200 for beer and $300 for liquor if they are not hosting a gathering of residents in their room. Residents are subject to a $200 to $500 fine based on possession or consumption of liquor or number of participants. Administrative fines are not imposed in situations where a resident is cited by police in the residence halls for alcohol and fined through the courts.
- Discipline is progressive in nature, so a resident who receives a fine on a first offense for alcohol runs the risk of having their housing contract cancelled for a second offense.
- For a resident found hosting a gathering of residents in their room with any amount of alcohol present, the fine is typically $500 for the first offense.
- Any second offense of alcohol possession, consumption, or hosting a gathering of residents typically results in a $500 fine if the student is permitted to remain in University Housing. Depending upon the circumstances of the violation, the resident could have their housing contract cancelled for the second violation .
- Residents may have their housing contract cancelled if (a) found in possession of a large quantity of alcohol on the first offense, (b) found to have hosted a large gathering of residents in their room on the first or second offense; or (c) found in possession of any alcohol on the second or third offense.
- Residents cited for possession or illegal drugs in the residence halls that are permitted to remain in the halls are subject to a $500 fine for possession of drugs or a $300 fine for possession of drug paraphernalia.
In addition to fines, the resident will be required to complete a mandatory alcohol/drug education program. A parental notification letter will be sent by the Dean of Students to the parent's address after the alcohol/drug sanction is imposed.
If you have questions about the fine policy for alcohol or drug violations, contact University Housing & Dining, Office of Residence Education, at 319-335-3700, or the Office of the Dean of Students at 319-335-1162.