Facilities & Work Orders

UH&D Custodial Staff

University Housing & Dining custodial staff is responsible for all building cleaning (except dining areas), building and student room furnishings, and waste disposal in the residence halls and University Apartments. The custodial staff is scheduled to work from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. seven days per week, except for university holidays. Custodial work schedules are planned so that main lobbies, lounges, studies, offices, public restrooms, stairways, and most other public areas are cleaned early in the morning.

  • Corridor vacuuming usually does not take place before 9 a.m.
  • Trash pickup on most floors usually occurs twice per day, once early in the morning and again in late afternoon.
  • Toilet and shower rooms in student corridors are generally cleaned between 9:45 a.m. and 4 p.m. Specific cleaning times are posted on each floor.
  • For a specific schedule of toilet and shower cleaning in your area, consult your area coordinator or ask the custodian on your floor. Times may vary somewhat each day.

Custodial Work Orders

Custodial work requests are made through work orders filed with your residence hall's front desk.

  • Custodial staff will respond to work requests through a written custodial work order that is issued by your front desk.
  • Any work involving furniture, draperies, or light bulbs should be reported on a custodial work order form available at the front desk.
  • The custodial staff is also responsible for room screens in Mayflower, Burge, Daum, Stanley, Rienow, and Slater. Requests for screen work in all other buildings should be directed to the maintenance staff by filling out a maintenance work order at the front desk.
  • A feedback copy of the work order will be left in your room after custodial has responded. The feedback copy will note either that the work has been completed, or the reason staff were unable to complete the work.
  • If work is not completed to your satisfaction, do not file a new work order. Bring the matter to your area coordinator's or hall coordinator's attention.

Pest Control

Insects and other pests are not a major problem in UI residence halls, thanks in large part to the work of the custodial staff.

Reporting Pest Problems

If you see roaches, silverfish, mice, or any other insect or vermin in your room, report it to your front desk as soon as possible. Pest control will respond within 48 hours. You should make sure your room is clean and no food, empty cans, or bottles have been left out. Bring a sample or a good description of the insect or vermin to the front desk. This will help pest control to treat the problem.

Preventing Pest Problems

Many pests (i.e., roaches, silverfish, and mice) that may inhabit your room do so in search of food, water, or a safe harbor. To help avoid pest problems in your room keep your room as clean as possible at all times; do not leave food out, do not collect empty cans and bottles in your room, and make sure trash is disposed of often. Also be cautious of any items such as cardboard boxes that you may bring into the building. Many times, insects or insect eggs are transported into the buildings via these containers.


UH&D Facilities is responsible for all building repairs, preventive maintenance, building heating/cooling systems, life safety, and renovation work in the residence halls and University Apartments. The facilities staff works from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. One facilities person is on standby 24 hours per day.

Facilities Work Orders

Work orders are written requests to reconfigure or repair your room equipment or furnishings or to remove and store university equipment as storage space permits. (University Housing & Dining only stores bunk bed parts from beds in Mayflower.) Go to your front desk to place a work order. A copy of the work order will be left in your room when the work is completed. If the work is not completed to your satisfaction, do not file a new work order. Bring the matter to your area coordinator or hall coordinator’s attention or call the University Housing & Dining facilities & operations office at (319) 335-9970.

After-hours Facilities Emergencies

If you feel you need emergency maintenance to handle a problem after 4:30 p.m., notify your front desk as soon as possible.

  • An emergency is any item which, if not corrected immediately, may seriously impact the safety and security of the building and/or the occupants or may create undue hardship for building occupants. Examples of this type of an emergency include fire, flood, no operational elevators, or serious power, heating or plumbing failures.
  • If you're not sure if what you're seeing is an emergency, don't hesitate to give your 24-hour building desk a call. In all cases, the building staff will make the determination if an emergency call to the maintenance staff is warranted.
  • Note that some work, such as retrieving contact lenses from drains or keys from an elevator shaft, may be billed to the occupant if handled after normal work hours.

How to Avoid Room Damage and Maintenance Calls

Before you moved in, your room was checked to ensure that it was in good condition. You will be responsible for the condition of your room when you move out. Room occupants will be billed for rooms that have sustained damage. To help avoid damage or maintenance calls, here are some guidelines to follow:

  • Never put soil, gravel, food or other debris down drains.
  • Avoid using too many appliances at once or overloading outlets with plugs and adapters.
  • Follow proper instructions for controlling room temperature.
  • Do not remove room screens.
  • Avoid using contact paper, adhesive hooks and holders on walls and furniture.
  • Report any damage or needed repairs as soon as possible.