We're excited that you are considering living with us on campus and want you to have a memorable experience. Housing assignments are determined based on a variety of different factors below.


Here at Iowa, we want you to be in community. That is why all housing assignments are based on the community experience that you choose: a Living Learning Community, Honors, Returning Student or New Student. You can apply to join and LLC by May 1, 2020.

We encourage you to preference communities based on the topic and experience you are looking for, not simply the location. The best Hawkeye experiences come from the relationships you make within your residence hall, not the location. Please note, locations may change from year to year based on interest in the community.

Room Selection

New and returning students select their own room for 2020-2021.  New Student room selection times are determined on a first-come, first-served basis, based on the date a student submits their housing application online. New students who apply by May 1, 2020 are eligible to participate in online room selection in June. 

Returning Students who apply by February 1, 2020 are provided a room selection time based on the number of semesters they have lived in the residence halls. Room selection takes place online in February.

New Hawkeyes will select a room in New Student Housing or a Living Learning Community, if accepted.  If you join the honors program, you will automatically have the opportunity to select a room in Honors house as space allows.  More details about room selection will be sent to you in May. 

Roommate Requests

All students who submit a housing application will have the option to request roommates. Once your housing application is complete, you can search for a roommate based on answers to the lifestyle questionnaire and community preferences.  Your roommate request must be mutually confirmed online by the following dates: 

  • Returning students must apply by February 1, 2020 to request a room. 
  • New students must apply by May 1, 2020 to request a room by May 15, 2020. 


Medical (ADA) Accommodations

The University of Iowa and University Housing and Dining are committed to providing equitable opportunities in higher education and programs for academically qualified students regardless of disability.  Students with a variety of disabilities and chronic medical conditions are welcome and encouraged to live in campus housing and we value the contributions all students make in our living learning communities. Campus housing is intended for students who do not need adult supervision and can successfully live on their own. Student needs differ individually, and University Housing and Dining will make reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. 

We will work with any student who requests housing or dining accommodations on an individual basis. It is important to communicate early and thoroughly with University Housing and Dining staff to ensure your needs can be met most effectively.  If you need to request an accommodation, you will need to fill out a Reasonable Accommodation Request Form. 

PDF iconRequest for Reasonable Accommodation Form

You must make a written request to University Housing and Dining for a reasonable accommodation to their room assignment. Part I is for the student to complete and Part II is for written support from a qualified health care professional. Requests are not considered complete until both portions are received. 

Once a complete request has been received, a member of the Contracts and Assignments office (or University Dining if a meal plan accommodation has been requested) will contact the student. Requests for accommodations submitted after the priority deadline will be filled as space allows. Please understand that not every residence hall room is accessible to students with disabilities.

Requests for accommodations will be verified by medical staff at Student Health and Wellness to determine our obligations based on the Americans with Disabilities Act and if the accommodation is medically required.  Factors that staff will consider when evaluating requests for accommodations:

  • Is the impact of the condition life-threatening if the request is not met?
  • Is the request an integral part of a treatment plan prescribed by a medical professional for the condition in question?
  • Was the request made by the priority deadline?
  • Is there space available to meet the student’s need?

We will make every effort to respond to your required medical accommodation as space is or becomes available.  Students providing medical documentation that an ADA accommodation is necessary will not be assessed additional charges for accommodations approved by University of Iowa staff. 

Prospective students who have a disability should make a written request for a reasonable accommodation as soon as possible after submitting their housing application.  Priority dates for consideration are:

  • Returning Students: February 15
  • New Students: May 15
  • Spring Semester: December 15
  • Summer Semester: May 5
  • Lease Gap: July 13

Requests will be accepted at any time, but may be limited by space availability.  

Current students may submit a written request at any time while they live in the residence halls, however, options for an accommodation may be limited by space availability. Students who currently live in the residence halls with accommodations and wish to return next year will be able to denote this on their reapplication. If accommodations need to be adjusted, additional documentation is required by February 15

Once your documentation has been evaluated and verified as medically necessary, you will be offered an accommodation via email to be accepted by the deadline provided.  Accommodations commonly offered to students may include:

  • Ability to bring or rent more than 1 Micro Chill refrigerator for medical supplies
  • ADA compliant bathroom with roll in shower and/or shower bench
  • Bed de-lofted prior to move-in
  • Evacuation plan for emergencies
  • Ground floor room or room on a lower floor
  • Kitchen access for individual meal preparation
  • Proximity reader access to automatically open doors
  • Semi-private bathroom
  • Strobe light, flashing fire alarm, and/or doorbell

Requests That Cannot Be Met

It may be helpful to note that due to the nature of living in a residence hall community, a request for a quiet hall is not a medical accommodation that can be met.  Additionally, because a residence hall is shared by hundreds of students participating in various activities throughout the day, living in a single room does not necessarily provide a student with a quiet, distraction-free environment. 

Mutually-confirmed roommate requests submitted by the required deadline will be considered and fulfilled as we are able.  However, a specific roommate request is not a medical accommodation that will be honored.  If you have a need for support from a medical professional, they must make arrangements with a private care company.  Card access for support staff can be arranged after room assignments have been finalized. 

University Housing and Dining is also committed to provide food options that meet the needs of students with specific diets or food allergies. If you are in need of a nutrition-related accommodation, please fill out a dietary needs form. For additional questions, please contact Laura Croteau, RD, LD, our nutrition specialist. 

PDF iconDietary Needs Form

Assistance animals within University Housing and Dining may be either service animals or emotional support animals. Service animals are recognized under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), and are animals that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability.  Emotional support animals are not recognized by the ADA, and are prescribed by a licensed healthcare professional to provide therapeutic benefits to a person with a disability.  Assistance animals are not pets.  Pets are animals kept for leisure and companionship, and therefore, are not permitted in University Housing and Dining. 

We recommend that you submit your request and documentation requesting an accommodation including an assistance animal by the priority deadline, and at least 45 days before moving into the residence halls. Assistance animals are not permitted in the residence halls until official written approval has been given by University Housing and Dining.  Accommodations will be for the course of an academic year and need to be renewed annually, or at any point where the accommodation request has changed or a new assignment has been given to the student.

University Housing and Dining may exclude an assistance animal from the residence halls if it poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, would cause substantial physical damage to the property of others, or would fundamentally alter the nature of University Housing.

Assistance Animal Approval Process

  1. You submit a completed Request for Reasonable Accommodation for University Housing and Dining including a statement from your health care practitioner regarding the specific accommodation required.
  2. Once approved for an accommodation due to a disability, you will be emailed documentation to submit regarding their assistance animal, including:
    • Assistance Animal Request Form
    • Veterinarian Verification Form
    • A photo of the animal
    • A copy of the animal’s Johnson County license (where required)
    • A copy of the current vaccination records
  3. After all documentation has been verified, you will meet with a University Housing and Dining staff member to review and sign the Assistance Animal Guidelines and Expectations.
  4. A date the animal is approved to enter the building will be determined. 
  5. University Housing and Dining will notify the residence hall community of the assistance animal and provide expectations for engagement.  

Students needing academic accommodations which do not impact their housing or dining situation should contact Student Disability Services or 319-335-1462. Please be aware that requests for medical accommodations that have been submitted to Student Disability Services will not be forwarded to University Housing & Dining.

We require completion of a separate form and additional documentation as it specifically relates to a student’s housing assignment. If you are requesting accommodations from both offices, please make sure to have the appropriate paperwork submitted to each department. 

Gender-Inclusive Housing

Gender-Inclusive Housing provides students the opportunity to apply for University housing spaces without regard to their gender. This housing option is not intended for romantic partners to live as roommates, but is focused on creating an inclusive, safe, and supportive environment where students can live together regardless of sex, gender identity, and/or gender expression. You are able to update your preferred name and pronouns, sex, gender, and standard name by changing your University of Iowa record.

All students are eligible to participate in Gender-Inclusive Housing, but must opt-in to the program.  

All of our residence halls are currently mixed-gender living environments in three configurations based on the building design and restroom facilities available:

  • Single Gender Wings or Floors – A hallway or portion of a building designated for a particular gender (ex. all-female or all-male floors).  Students in these assignments share a bedroom and bathroom with students of the same gender. These floors have single gender, traditional, community style restrooms (several toilet and shower stalls within the restroom).
  • Mixed Gender By Floor – Students in these assignments share a bedroom with students of the same gender.  However, their neighbors may be different genders (ex. a female room next to a male room). Restrooms may be community style and designated female or male, or single user (individual use rooms with shower, toilet and sink behind a lockable door).
  • Suite-Style – Students in these assignments share a bedroom with students of the same gender. Their bedroom is connected to another bedroom of students of the same gender by shared bathroom and kitchen spaces. The restrooms in this hall are single user individual use rooms with shower, toilet and sink behind a lockable door).

Our goal is to provide each of our communities with restroom facilities available to support each roommate’s gender identity.  For some roommates, this may mean an assignment on a hall floor that has either women’s and men’s community style restrooms or single user restrooms.  For others, this may mean a double room with a private bathroom or suite-style restroom. 

On the housing application students must opt into the program by selecting, “Yes, I am interested in participating in Gender-Inclusive Housing." 

Yes. Once students indicate an interest in Gender-Inclusive Housing on their application, they will receive an email with information about roommate matching.  Due to the unique nature this housing option, an additional roommate matching process has been established to connect with fellow Hawkeyes. 

All roommate requests must be mutual and confirmed, with identical community preference lists. The roommate deadline for returning students is February 1, 2020 and May 15, 2020 for incoming students. Our staff will be in contact with confirmed roommate pairs for room assignment.

Students interested in participating in Gender-Inclusive Housing and have additional questions may talk with any of our Contracts and Assignments staff, Breann Fredrickson or Virginia Ibrahim-Olin via telephone 319-335-3000 or email, housing@uiowa.edu

Expanded Housing

Expanded housing is created by converting study lounges on residential floors into large bedrooms, where 8 or fewer students will be placed. Students are assigned, temporarily, to expanded housing when there are no more available rooms. Students will be reassigned to a permanent room once one becomes available.

Students assigned to expanded housing will be charged $10/day for each day they are in expanded housing. Once a student moves into their permanent assignment, the next U-bill statement will be prorated to reflect the new room rate, depending on the date their move is officially complete. This means that they will pay the expanded housing room rate for the days they lived in expanded housing, and then an adjusted rate for the remainder of the fall semester. In the spring semester, they will pay the full semester amount.

Students in expanded housing have many of the same amenities as those in their permanent spaces. They are provided with beds, dressers, desks/work stations, and hanging racks for clothing. Learn more about expanded housing by viewing the video to the left. 

  • Bed
  • Dresser
  • Desk/study area and chair
  • Hanging rack for clothes
  • Bedding
  • Seasonal fall clothing
  • Toiletries
  • Photos from home
  • Furniture (comfy chairs or futons)
  • Additional winter clothing

Assignment Changes

Students will select their own rooms for the 2020-2021 academic year.  Assignment changes will begin after the first two weeks of the fall semester. Students will be emailed with details about how to request a room change. Please note: We are no longer offering room changes for the remainder of Spring 2020 due to available space as well as navigating COVID-19.

You have three primary methods to request a room change: Room Swap, the Living Learning Community Waitlist, and Mass Transfer.  Whichever method you choose, you will need to watch your uiowa.edu email account for a room change offer as space allows.  Room changes during the fall semester are offered two weeks after move-in until Thanksgiving break.  Spring semester room changes are offered from February until spring break in March. 

Room Swap is a University Housing and Dining process that allows students to view spaces advertised by other Hawkeyes who share any of your top ten preference communities. Students are only able to swap into communities in which they are eligible to participate. Room Swap is offered online in mid-July, and then reopens once the academic year begins. 

This waitlist is utilized to offer space in a living-learning community as it becomes available.  Students may place themselves on the Living Learning Community Waitlist through the housing application portal beginning in July 2020.

This is a brief period in early December when students are offered a room change for the upcoming spring semester.  Many Hawkeyes will study abroad, creating opportunities for fellow Hawkeyes to have a different living experience in the spring.  You will be emailed instructions in November about how to participate in Mass Transfer. 

Contract releases due to roommate conflicts will not be granted, as many students are able to mediate roommate differences. Living with roommates isn’t always easy—sharing a space can be stressful and conflicts may arise and are natural.

All students living on campus are required to complete a roommate and/or suitemate success plan within the first month of living on campus. These plans facilitate conversations between students around what is acceptable and expected within the shared living space.  

If this has been completed and you are still having conflicts with your roommate that you are unable to resolve on your own, your RA can hold a mediation meeting with all residents of the space. This is an opportunity to address concerns, brainstorm solutions, and create a timeline for improvement.