All residence halls except Catlett, Mayflower, and Petersen are heated with steam. When the outside air falls below a predetermined temperature, the main supply valves to the building are automatically opened to allow steam to circulate throughout the building. Typically, the steam is turned on in the residence hall buildings by October 15. Learn more about using the heat in your room. 


ResNet is a service offered by University Housing and Dining in conjunction with Information Technology Services (ITS) that provides all students living in residence halls with a computer data port (hard wired) that provides a fast, direct ethernet connection to the campus network and Internet. Learn how to keep yourself and your electronic data safe both at home and on campus. 


UI Wireless provides wireless access for mobile devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones. All UI traditional residence halls provide wireless internet.


Instructional Technology Centers (ITCs) are located in Mayflower, Currier and Hillcrest. ITCs are equipped with PCs, Macintoshes, scanners and printers connected to the university network. Other residence halls have a print release station for easy printing on your account. You must have a HawkID to use ITC computers. Currently enrolled students can obtain a HawkID through MyUI.uiowa.edu. All residence hall ITCs are available 24 hours a day.


Packages and Mail

All mail is distributed through the information desks. Mail is delivered Monday through Friday (except holidays) while classes are in session.

The general format for sending mail is:

Your name

100 [Building name] Hall, Room #
University of Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa 52242

Your specific mailing address can also be found in your housing assignment letter, which is both emailed to you and sent to you through the housing application portal. 

TV and Gaming

Your digital television must have a QAM tuner (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) to work with the University of Iowa's cable service. The QAM tuner allows your TV to receive high definition cable programming without a cable set top box. For additional information contact, Information Technology Services (ITS)


The following pieces of mail can be placed in student mailboxes:

  • U.S. Mail or any parcel delivery (i.e. FedEx, UPS) addressed to the student or occupant of room
  • Campus mail addressed to the student or occupant of room
  • Advertisements/mail from or approved by University Housing and Dining

Front desks will not accept packages unless delivered by the above specified services.

Meeting Room Reservations

In addition to student living quarters, the residence halls also contain a number of conference and meeting room facilities. Policies and procedures for reserving these facilities are below.

For Internal Groups

University Housing and Dining, departments within the Division of Student Life, any residence hall student group, a university department renting residence hall space, or any university department sponsoring a learning community floor event may reserve meeting spaces in the residence halls at no cost. Organizations and individuals who qualify as University Housing and Dining Internal Groups may reserve rooms online. You can view the online system to see information on what rooms are available. 

For External Groups

University Housing & Dining is committed to providing living and study space for students residing in the residence halls. Any university office or department, or professional unit that is not part of the Division of Student Life, any non-residence-hall-recognized student group is considered to be an 'external group' and is encouraged to reserve meeting space at the Iowa Memorial Union prior to reserving space with University Housing and Dining. External groups may reserve and use only designated residence hall space. The designated space for external groups is limited to rooms listed on the online forms. You can view the online system to see information on what rooms are available. 

Additionally, you can also review the room reservation policies and procedures. If you need to reserve equipment for your meeting space, you can also do that by using the online system for external groups.