Below are some tips on what to and not to bring when arriving on campus.

  • Face Covering
  • Thermometer
  • Hand sanitizer and sanitizing spray (students will need to sanitize their face shields)
  • Soap to hand wash a cloth mask
  • Appropriate clothing—think in terms of a number of items of lighter clothing, which can be layered as it gets colder and shed as it warms up. Bring hats, gloves, and boots for winter.
  • Academic supplies (backpack, pens, notebooks, etc.)
  • Computer, laptop, or tablet
  • Bathrobe, shower shoes, and a small bucket for carrying toiletries
  • Bedding: blankets, pillows, and sheets (all beds require extra-long sheets, 36” x 80”)
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Clothes hangers
  • Desk lamp with LED or CFL light bulbs
  • Ethernet cord
  • Fan (for good circulation and white noise)
  • First-aid kit
  • Laundry basket/bag, detergent, and supplies
  • Towels, washcloths, and toiletry items
  • Power strip
  • Reusable water bottle, cutlery and plate
  • Trash bags for the trashcan (we recommend 11-13 gallon bags)
  • Bike, helmet, and bike lock (UI is a silver level bike friendly university)
  • Microwave
  • Toaster
  • Rice cooker
  • Coffee pot
  • Keurig coffee pot
  • Crock pot/slow cooker
  • Clothing iron
  • Air popcorn popper
  • Blender
  • Personal blender/juicer
  • Hot water boiler/electric kettle
  • Hair styling tools
  • Electric wax melt
  • Vacuum cleaner
  • Humidifier
  • Dehumidifier
  • Clothing steamer
  • Lava lamp
  • Air purifiers (without heating elements)
  • Insurance information (health and renters)
  • Photo identification
  • Proof of employment eligibility (if you plan to work)
  • Bicycle or moped and helmet
  • TV, plus coax cable cord for TV
  • Vacuum cleaner
  • Room decor
  • Refrigerator/microwave (five cubic feet and nine amps or smaller—no personal refrigerators allowed in Mayflower or any room with supplied kitchen)
  • Futon for extra seating (80” wide or smaller will fit under a lofted bed)
  • Small Energy Star rated and approved appliances
  • Alcohol or alcohol containers
  • Candles, incense, toaster ovens, Pizzazz, pressure cookers, hot plates or grills
  • Firearms, fireworks, or explosives
  • Halogen lamps (all styles)
  • Pets, except fish
  • Space heaters
  • Illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia
  • Hoverboards
  • Tobacco and electronic cigarettes (may be stored but not used on campus)
  • Wireless printers (incompatible with UI-DeviceNet)
  • Google Chromecast (incompatible with UI-DeviceNet)
  • Electric grills (i.e., George Foreman, waffle iron, griddle, pizzazz pizza oven, panini maker, quesadilla maker, etc.)
  • Pizza cooker
  • Toaster oven (except in Mayflower Hall)
  • Hot plate
  • All-in-one breakfast maker
  • Instapot
  • Air fryer
  • Hover board
  • Halogen lamp
  • AC unit
  • Space heater
  • Electric fire place
  • Portable electric dryer

It's always good to be sustainable and move-in is no exception. Here are some tips to keep in mind: 

  • Pack with reusable plastic bins or laundry baskets.
  • If you must use cardboard boxes, make sure to save or recycle them after moving in.
  • Consider purchasing natural non-toxic products, used items, local, fair trade or organic when possible.

Typical Residence Hall Furniture Dimensions

1 of Each Item Per Resident

Lofted Bed: 81.5 inches (width), 58 inches (height), 40 inches (depth)
Dresser: 30 inches (width), 30 inches (height), 30 inches (depth)
Desk and Chair: 48 inches (width), 30 inches (height), 24 inches (depth)
Closet: 37 inches (width), 72 inches (height)

Please note: Closet configuration varies by residence hall. 

  • Single Configuration: 24 inches (mattress height), 40 inches (width), 85 inches (length), 37 inches (total bed height)
    • Mayflower: 19 inches (mattress height), 40 inches (width), 85 inches (length), 36 inches (total bed height)​​​​​​​
  • High Loft Configuration: 69 inches (mattress height), 40 inches (width), 85 inches (length), 74 inches (total bed height)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    • Mayflower: 68 inches (mattress height), 40 inches (width), 85 inches (length), 72 inches (total bed height)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Bunk Beds Configuration:  69 inches (mattress height)​​​​​​​, 40 inches (width), 85 inches (height), 74 inches (total bed height)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    • Mayflower: 68 inches (mattress height), 40 inches (width), 85 inches (length), 72 inches (total bed height)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Captains Bed Configuration: 33 inches (mattress height),​​​​​​​ 40 inches (width), 85 inches (height), 37 inches (total bed height)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    • Mayflower: 32 inches (mattress height), 40 inches (width), 85 inches (length), 36 inches (total bed height)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • High Captain Configuration: 43 inches (mattress height),​​​​​​​ 40 inches (width), 85 inches (height), 37 inches (total bed height)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    • Mayflower: 42 inches (mattress height),​​​​​​​ 40 inches (width), 85 inches (height), 35 inches (total bed height)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Rent a MicroChill

Renting a MicroChill combination microwave and refrigerator through College Products is a great solution for your room. The MicroChill will be placed in your room prior to move-in and you will just need to return it at the end of the year. You can order online at

Futon and Linens

Need a futon or linens for your room? Purchasing a futon through can be a great additional to your room. You can order online at Additionally, if you are in need of linens, Our Campus Market provides a wide array of colors, patterns and sizes to fit your needs. You can order online at:


Renter's Insurance 

The university does not provide insurance for student belongings. Students and/or their parents should consult their current homeowner's policy to determine if a student's belongings are covered through a current policy. A renter's insurance policy can be purchased as part of a homeowner's policy, or you can purchase insurance through companies specializing in property insurance for college students. Once your room is chosen or assigned, you will have the opportunity to learn about GradGuard, the preferred renter's insurance provider of the University of Iowa.