How it works
We're glad you've chosen to live with us during winter break! Winter break is available at an additional fee of $350, which includes $50 in Hawkeye Dollars.
Step 1: Submit your online application
If you would like to stay over the winter break, you will need to fill out an application located in the housing portal. This must be filled out by December 6.
You will receive your official contract and have until December 14 to cancel your plans without penalty. Cancellations after December 15 will be subject to a $50 late fee.
If you have a demonstrated financial hardship regarding your ability to pay the winter break charge, you can e-mail housing and dining at firstname.lastname@example.org for options to potentially reduce your break housing cost.
Step 2: Know your meal options
Only select dining locations will be open for service during winter break. You will be able to use your flex meal swipes as payment during winter break. Other forms of payment that will be accepted include Herky booster pack swipes, meal share swipes, Hawk dollars, U-bill and credit cards.
Step 3: Remember hall desk hours
Residence Hall desks will close at 5 p.m. on December 17 and begin winter break hours. Currier Hall will remain open 24 hours throughout all of winter break.
December 17 – January 7
Desk hours of operation
- Currier: 24-hour desk
- Burge, Catlett, Daum, Hillcrest, Mayflower, Parklawn, Petersen, Rienow and Slater: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. (daily)
- All desks with the exception of Currier will be closed on December 24 and December 25.
- The Currier desk will continue to operate as a 24-hour desk December 24 and December 25.
- All desks with the exception of Currier will be open 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. on January 1.
- The Currier desk will continue to operate as a 24-hour desk on January 1.
January 8 – January 12
Desk Hours of Operation
- Currier: 24-hour desk
- Burge, Catlett, Daum, Hillcrest, Mayflower, Parklawn, Petersen, Rienow and Slater: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. (daily)
Regular hours will resume at 7 a.m. on January 13.
November 27 - December 2
Attend the winter break information meeting.
Deadline to apply for winter break housing.
December 15 at 2 p.m.
Market Places close for winter break.
December 16 at 12 p.m. (noon)
Residence Halls close for winter break.
*Students that wish to stay in the halls past 12 p.m. must apply for winter break housing
UHD Staff will be entering all spaces during winter break for routine maintenance checks.
December 16-January 12
Winter break occurs.
January 13 at 8 a.m.
Residence halls open for the spring 2024 semester.
Stay at Iowa
Submit your Winter Break application for housing by Dec. 6.
Leaving for break?
Before you leave for break, make sure you follow the steps provided below.
- Remove all food from you refrigerator and check expiration dates on other food items, throw anything away that will expire.
- Clean your refrigerator and microwave.
- Turn off everything in your room and unplug what you can.
- Leave your refrigerator plugged in.
- Remove all furnishing on or around the radiator.
- Take trash out to the dumpster.
- Make sure your window is closed and locked.
- Set your thermostat at 70 degrees. Or, if you have steam valves, leave them slightly open.
- Make necessary arrangements for care of plants and fish (UHD staff will not provide care).
- Do not put any potting soil or other solid materials down drains.
- Lock your door, take your room key and student ID with you.
- An express check-out can be completed anytime the front desk is open in your hall.
- Once your room is entirely empty and cleaned, please go to the desk to check out.
- The desk clerk will help you take care of all of your checkout steps, which include updating your mail forwarding address and returning your key.
- Once you return your key, you will no longer have access to your room.
- An RA will check your room at a later time. If there are damage charges, you will receive an email notification.
- If you rented a MicroFridge from Campus Fridges, please contact Campus Fridges at 877-423-7434 to let them know you are moving rooms or leaving the University of Iowa.